DEADLINE for STUDENT HONOR BAND ONLINE APPLICATION & MP3 RECORDING is Thursday, January 11, 2018
Application and Recording Instructions for Students
Students will complete an online application and upload a digital audition recording (.mp3, .wav, .aac, etc.) with 3 to 5 minutes of playing. Please consolidate recordings into one sound file to upload. You may perform any music you wish – a solo, an etude or study, or even a melodic excerpt from a piece of band music (standard solos and etudes are best). You should consult with your band director or private teacher for help in choosing the piece(s) you can play well.
Percussionists are asked to perform on three instruments: snare drum (first on the recording), a keyboard percussion instrument – if possible (second), and on timpani (last). Percussionists who only play one instrument, just snare drum – for example, should not be discouraged from sending in an application.
Other recording instructions include:
- Any type of digital recorder will do: computer, hand-held recorder, iPhone, iPad, tablet, etc.
- Before you begin to play, state your name, instrument, grade, and school.
- Label the audition file with your name and instrument.
- Only one player per recording.
- You may take several tries, if you wish, at recording a fine performance. If you make mistakes, just start over from the beginning.
- Test your recording before uploading the file. Be sure it’s not blank!
- Applications and audition recordings must be submitted online no later than Thursday, January 11, 2018.
Carolina Conductors Conference participants will register ONLINE beginning on December 1st, 2017. The fee for all conducting conference participants is $80.00, which includes a catered lunch and dinner on Friday. Participants may earn one unit of North Carolina Certificate Renewal Credit. The Carolina Conductors Conference is a great opportunity to grow and develop as a conductor and musician under the guidance and inspiration of our outstanding clinicians.
Conductors Conference Repertoire 2018
Grade 6: First Suite in E-flat – Holst/Matthews, Suite of Old American Dances – Bennett, Divertimento – Persichetti
Grade 5: Irish Tune – Grainger, Chorale and Shaker Dance – Zdechlik, Prelude, Siciliano, and Rondo – Arnold
Grade 4: American Riversongs – LaPlante, Amazing Grace – Ticheli, Lindbergh Variations – Sheldon
Grade 3: Air for Band – Erickson, Kentucky 1800 – Grundman, Yorkshire Ballad – Barnes